Tuesday, December 6, 2011

my rule of life

I know it's been quite a while, but I have something my heart feels worth sharing right now, so here it is.

But first, a brief explanation.

For my fundamentals of youth ministry class, one of our final presentations was to write a rule of life, based on guidelines given in one of our books from the semester, "Presence Centered Youth Ministry" by Mike King.

You'll soon see my rule, but ironically enough, its something I've been working on a post about ever since I left kamp in August. It doesn't directly relate to my time at kamp, but its something I spent a lot of time thinking about while I was there and all the time, really.

Without further rambling, here is my rule.


I submit to a rule of life in which I will LIVE ABOVE REPROACH. I desire to live a life that exemplifies my faith, and I will embrace spiritual values and practices to help me live in the presence of God. Colossians 1:21-23

As I live above reproach, I will value the following:
• Loving Unconditionally: Because I am loved in this way (1 John 3:1), and called to love the same, I will strive to love others without condition, as close to perfectly as I can and according to the definition of love as set in 1 Corinthians chapter 13.
• I will Embrace Simplicity: I must protect my soul from the business of life. I will focus on both the practical and impractical things that keep me in line with my Father’s continually unfolding will for my life.
• I will set an example to all believers, as called in 1 Timothy 4:12
• And I will rejoice in who I am, as the Lord has created me (Psalm 139:14). I will strive not to fall prey to abiding by an image that society portrays and demands. Instead I will be the most beautiful person as I have been fashioned by His hands, and I will let my perfection in His eyes be enough.


I will employ spiritual practices that will further help me maintain my values and strengthen my spiritual development:
• I will partake in daily, interactive prayer with my father. There will be open communication, I will speak, and I will listen, with my heart, soul and mind.
• I will commit to scripture reading 5 times per week and scripture memorization
• I will serve generously, in goodness, from the heart, in kindness, liberally, magnificently, nobly, in readiness of spirit, and unselfishly in love (Hebrews 13:1-2)
• I will embody my faith through journaling and fasting
• And I will commit to advocacy for evangelism and social justice. I will seek to care for those who are in need and living without. Not only do they deserve to know the love of the father, but the love of a human. The are deserving of the knowledge that they are created for a purpose, unique and beautiful, that nobody else in this world can fulfill, even if they seem more adequate or better equipped to do so.

Now that you have seen my rule, I offer the challenge that you will hold me to my rule! If you are a regular part of my life, or not, keep me accountable to living my life above reproach!

And, lookout for another post...sometime, hopefully sooner than later since school's almost out for the semester, about what I think it looks like to LIVE AND LOVE ABOVE REPROACH.

Peace and blessings from a worn out, over committed, almost crazy, loving life, doing great, joyful, pinterest obsessed, twitterific, college student! Y'all be in touch!!!

In Grace's Amazing Hands,
Katelyn Paige Hukill

No comments:

Post a Comment